Saturday, June 16, 2007

Farewell to Campus Congress

This is the first of two farewell speeches that I've written in my final months at John Jay High School. This was delivered, roughly as it appears here, to Campus Congress on June 4, 2007, my final address as Speaker.

□ □ □

This is a student congress. We are in fact students, but that is not an accusation. The students I meet and talk to are exceptional: they’re witty, hopeful about tomorrow and skeptical about today. I believe in the importance of Campus Congress because I believe in the power of the student's voice.

Congress of 2007 became more attuned to this voice... [Details not relevant]

Earlier this year, the school decided to lock its doors to the bad things that lurk outside: the doors around campus are locked so that thieves and terrorists and bears cannot come into the school without visitors passes. But I have to say that these are not the evildoers that I fear. No, I fear less the loudness of the people outside this school, than I do the quietness of those inside of it. When dissent walks onto a stage, it is not always greeted with warm and welcoming applause. And for this reason, the real danger to our safety is not those willing to stir up trouble outside of this school, but those who are too idle or fearful to honestly and openly speak their minds.

There are things as representative we have to consider: are we delegates…or are we trustees… are we watchdogs of the administration, condemning its decisions …or are we liaisons

I am saying this, quite simply, because representation is not always easy. When we act there are going to be costs. But I believe, and I believe this from my heart, that if there are costs when we take action, then the costs for inaction are far greater. To ask a question our school district asked itself this year: What harm can come of words? Perhaps words can cause harm. Perhaps that is true. But ask yourself: What is the harm of no words at all? How can we understand who we are, the bounds of our own civility and our own ignorance, if we cannot hear aloud what others think? Of all the values a society, or a school system like this, can have, the willingness for open discussion is our most important. If we cannot meet and talk freely about our own stupidity and our own potential, then we might as well be going to class to learn fairytales each day.

So, I would like to say, as I leave, that Congress is the closest thing we have to a forum for open dialogue, and for this reason, in all its boisterousness and its disorder it’s been one of the important homes I have ever had. One man rule has never had much trouble drumming up support, but democracy needs all the help it can get. Tyranny is silent, but democracy is unsettled and loud, so don’t stop talking and don’t stop asking questions. I’m going to be handing this gavel to the next Speaker. Be respectful when she hits it on the table – be respectful and be orderly, but don’t ever be quiet.

No comments: